Saturday, December 27, 2008

Briefly back in England

I anticipated culture shock. Instead I felt at home.

After Asia and before California, I went to England for eight days. I was excited to see old friends and eat familiar food, but I thought it might feel strange being back.

Unexpected differences surprised me. Grubby old London looked clean. I'm used to seeing rubbish everywhere and was struck by the capitol's unlittered pavements. England was colder than lowland Nepal, but indoors it was warm. I welcomed the world of central heating where you can relax in restaurants in short sleeves. In the West it seems, the cold is made to stay outside. Once the sun goes down in Nepal the cold permeates everything. Cement and stone are not very cosy and cafes are open to the elements. I dressed in layers and didn't take them off. England was colder outside but inside was toasty.

I was keen visit a supermarket expecting a jarring contrast after open-air markets with tubs of writhing fish, peculiar bumpy vegetables and yelling vendors. I envisioned strolling down sterile aisles jammed with thirty kinds of pasta, shrink-wrapped broccoli and overly packaged imported treats. Perhaps the comparatively high cost and staggering variety would stun me. Maybe it would seem wrong seeing so much attractive food for sale when elsewhere most people have simple locally produced diets.

Once inside the comforting glow of the supermarket, however everything seemed...well, normal. Although it was my first time in the shop, basket in hand I quickly hunted down yoghurt and satsumas. The layout subscribed to a familiar formula whose logic is imprinted on my brain. I am a child of the developed world. It was all so easy. No bargaining either.

For the first few days I still smiled at strangers and thought of other whities as "Westerners". Initially I did a doubletake when I overheard people speaking English. One busy lunchtime at Bill's in Brighton, tables close together, the woman to my left talked loudly to her companion about her philosophy of romantic relationships. It seemed so personal I couldn't help but blush. Didn't they realise I understood what they were saying? The ironic thing is that in Asia where personal space is at a premium, I got used to squeezing in next to strangers, but I had no idea what they were talking about.

The lesson was promptly forgotten because while walking that night, my friend discretely told me a bizarre story about his flatmate. "He laminated his pubes?!" I loudly echoed. I followed him across the road before I realised the detour was to distance ourselves from the man directly in front of us who had of course heard my outburst. I quickly apologised explaining, "I just keep forgetting that everyone speaks English!"

Finally, being away for so long has rendered me slow to interpret puns. My favourite sandwich chain, Pret a Manger has introduced free internet access. The poster advertises with two pieces of fruit and reads something like: "Wi-fi in-store now. But we still like to pick our apples and blackberries straight from the garden." A bit random but fair enough, I thought. They're saying they've gone high-tech but their food is still fresh and natural. Three days later I got the pun.

So "reverse culture-shock" isn't all it's cracked up to be. I quickly adapted to the change of scenery. I rode on the top level of buses instead of on the roof. I enjoyed meaningful conversations with old friends rather than traveller small talk. Oh and the food! Pesto pasta, fruit smoothies and green salads. Wet plate? Not a problem. I was even able to drink the tap water without getting ill. Amazing.

I've realised that travelling has made me more relaxed and better able to calmly deal with problems. Throughout Asia the notion of "saving face" rules all interactions. Getting angry and godforbid yelling makes you look ridiculous in locals' eyes and gets you nowhere. My newfound skills proved useful in England as well.

There's no public transport in London on Christmas. I had a flight to the States to catch and with Heathrow 20 miles away I wasn't walking. I pre-booked a mini-cab whose website proudly advertised they still charge their standard price on Christmas. However the dispatcher insisted it would cost an extra £10 because of the holiday. I calmly said I would like them to honour their price quoted online. After some resistance she spoke to her manager and agreed. In the taxi, my travel instinct told me to confirm again. The driver gave me the inflated price! This is when pre-Asia Fay would have flipped out. I would have belligerently insisted I was right and the driver would have argued back, making us both flustered and peeved. Instead I phoned the mini-cab company, confident it would be painlessly resolved. And it was. I paid the normal price, empathised with the driver over the confusion and we continued in good spirits. Success all around.

- Enroute to California, 38,000ft above Colorado

3 comments:

Annie Fox said...

Glad to hear that re-entry was not only painless... but actually pleasant. It's good to be home and feel in synch with "normal", I reckon!

David Fox said...

Yes, but can you handle an afternoon in Costco so close to the holidays? We shall see!!

Good to have you back!

Miles Gordon said...

When I got back to San Francisco from travelling, I was so starved to talk to strangers (in English) that, on the bus from my airport shuttle stop, I couldn't help but chat with the bus drivers and several passengers. As it turns out, those "westerners" you tend to feel akin to and friendly with when abroad, are really around you all the time when you're home. Who knew?